Computing Services Recommends
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus software – ESET delivers the fastest, most effective antivirus software with spyware and malware protection available to combat viruses, spyware, rootkits, and other internet attacks, keeping your identity and data safe from hackers and thieves.
- Foxit PDF Document Reader – Allows the loading of Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
- CCleaner – Scans your system and cleans up all the junk left behind by your every day use. Junk, such as temp files, cookies, history, cached information, etc.
- Defraggler – quick and efficient drive defragmentation utility.
- Dropbox – Provides online file-sync, backup and file sharing utility. Anything you put in your Dropbox folder (which appears as a folder on your system) will be securely backed up and synchronised to your free 2Gb online storage.
- Firefox and Thunderbird – These are much better and more customizable (and secure) alternatives to the MS browser and email products. Some people may protest that Google Chrome is the “new” browser of choice; however, consider there may (highly likely) be privacy issues.
- Recuva – is a great utility for recovering deleted files. We recommend that you install Recuva in anticipation of any accidental deletions – NOT after you need it. Once you have deleted a file, the installation process could over-write the data you wish to recover.
Some Commercial Software Recommendations
- Directory Opus – This is simply the BEST Windows Explorer replacement available. It offers so many features and built-in tools, that it can be a little overwhelming to start with. But once you start using it, you will never want to live without it. Example features include; double-clicking the desktop will open your last lister, right-click the desktop and open pre-saved favourite lister configurations, fully customisable, built in ZIP support, built in FTP client, advanced search and synchronisation, duplicate file finder, advanced rename, file view filtering and MUCH, MUCH more.
- EditPad Pro – Our recommended text editor. It includes tabbed multi-file editing, code colouring and comprehensive customisation.
- MediaMonkey (Gold) – There may be decent alternatives, but this is slick, fast, intuitive and does EVERYTHING you would want, and more.
- RoboForm Desktop – One of the best password managers out there. With RoboForm, you only need to remember one master password to access any number of sites and applications requiring authentication. It can also securely store other important information. Although it has a synchronisation function, we store our RoboForm data in Dropbox (see above). That way, with multiple Roboform licenses, we can seamlessly and conveniently access the same up-to-date password lists in our office or out on a job.